Sunday 7 April 2013

Dairy-free Carrot Cake



There's a first time for everything! One of my friends requested a carrot cake recipe, yet I had none to give her. In desperate need for a recipe, my mum acquired one for me - this is my 'tweaked' version.

Ingredients (makes 8 big slices)

for the cake - 

6oz caster sugar
6oz vegetable oil
3 eggs
5.4 oz plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/3 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
12oz grated carrot, roughly 3 carrots
1oz walnuts (I didn't have 3oz)

for the icing - 

half cup thick soya yoghurt or Total yoghurt for those that can eat dairy
2 tsp golden syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

or (the icing for the original recipe)
8oz philadelphia cheese
8oz icing sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence

1. Heat the oven to 170°C.

2. Mix the sugar and the oil and then add the eggs one at a time. 

3. Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon in another bowl and mix well. Add the flour mix to the egg mix and stir well.

4. Then fold the grated carrots and walnuts into the cake mix and place in a suitable cake tin. 

5. Cook the cake at 170°C for 25 minutes and then turn the heat down to 160°C and cook for a further 20/25 minutes.

6. I didn't have the right ingredients for the icing so had to improvise. For the icing, put the yoghurt, syrup and essence together and leave it in the fridge until the cake is ready and has completely cooled. 

7. Cover the cake with the icing and decorate with walnuts of grated carrot.

3 comments:

  1. Everyone's making carrot and I'm not complaining. It's my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrot cake is so easy it's great, and this recipe is extra moist!

    ReplyDelete