I'd like to thank my good friend Olivia Brine for inspiring me to use muesli instead of porridge oats for an alternative, and more exciting breakfast. Often, I add dried fruit anyway, but pre prepared muesli is so much easier. Adding apple juice instead of milk or water adds a sweetness to this porridge, and therefore there's no need to drizzle sugar or maple syrup on top - making it a lot healthier!
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1 1/2 handfuls of muesli, preferably with lots of yummy dried bits
- 1 tbsp plain porridge oats
- 4 tbsp apple juice
- 3 tbsp milk or water (I use milk for a creamier taste, but this can be substituted for almond milk or soya milk)
- 1 tinned pear, chopped
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut (optional)
- toppings of your desire
1. Firstly, add the apple juice and milk (or water) to your muesli oat mix. Add the apple juice first and then top it up with whatever you are using, so that the muesli is just covered. If you like your porridge runny, it's best to add more liquid.
2. Then add the chopped pear to the bowl and place it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, stirring it a few times.
I like my porridge dry, so here's what it looks like.
3. Now for the best part! Choosing your toppings. I went for raisins, dates, apricots, linseeds and goats milk yoghurt. Feel free to go wild.